Originally on this site there was an
old thatched chapel which dated from 1146 and was possibly the
oldest Chantry in the diocese. In Mr Baring Gould's Book of Dartmoor
he states 'At Sticklepath was a curious old cob thatched chapel, but
this was unnecessarily destroyed and a modern erection of no
interest or beauty has taken its place'. This is referring to the
current church of St Mary which was built in 1875.
The only relic that remains from
the old chapel is the fragment of stone, with red and blue
colouring, which could be a figure of Mary in a blue robe, and is
now set in one of the recesses in the sanctuary. The new church has
a north porch and an apsidal chancel which is divided from the nave
by a plain arch.
The roof of the nave is open
timbered and that of the chancel panelled.The east window
representing the crucifixion was given in 1871 in memory of George
Henry and Mary Jackson. The west window was erected in 1913 by John
Cook in memory of his parents John and Mary who died in 1852 and
1882. There is a small octagonal font.
In 1950 the whole of the belfry was demolished, as a lot of the
rafters were completely rotten, and then rebuilt.
The church, despite years of desecration and decay, has survived. It
was served by Sampford Courtney until 1933 when it joined with