MISSION ACTION PLAN
St John the Baptist, Hatherleigh
We seek to be people who together are:
Growing in Prayer
We want to grow in prayer, living a life close to God. This means taking
risks as we become more honest with ourselves and more honest with God. Prayer
opens up deep places within us to God’s grace, which is why it is such a
life-giving activity. Growing in prayer is essential if we are to witness to
God’s Kingdom and become the people God has called us to be.
1. We will work with the other parishes in our group to produce a prayer card to
leave in the pews as a help to those who wish to use it.
2. We will contact the other churches in Hatherleigh to organise a united prayer
meeting to pray for our community during the national ‘Thy Kingdom Come’ event
between Ascension Day and Pentecost.
Making New Disciples
A disciple is someone who follows Jesus Christ. With him as our companion and
guide we can travel through life differently, and we hope others will share the
adventure with us. We want to be more faithful in our discipleship and allow God
to shape our priorities and values. The Christian gospel is good news and we
need to find new ways of telling the story, explaining the faith, and giving a
reason for the hope that is in us.
1. We will provide suitable Bible reading notes in church free for people to
take away to encourage and help people to read the Bible daily.
2. We will look at introducing an ‘alternative’ service at a different time to
the current Sunday services for those who prefer a more modern liturgy.
Serving the People of Devon with Joy
We want to make a difference in the world and witness to God’s love and
justice, especially in the communities and schools where we live. Working in
partnership with others who are transforming lives, we seek to address the
global issues confronting our generation so that everyone may flourish.
1. We will continue our commitment to the community, particularly in the coming
year by raising money for a new sound system in the church to improve sound
facilities for services and other events in the church, and proceeding with our
project to repair and redecorate the Old Vestry, which is used by Hatherleigh
Silver Band as their practice room.
Additional Priorities for 2017/2018
1. Ensure safeguarding procedures are in line with national policies and
2. Roll out the Parish Giving Scheme to those who wish to give in this way.